Sunday, February 01, 2009

JOHN C. HUGHES (EA 360)

The following comments were contributed by Brother Hughes' daughter, Betsy, on January 27, 2009:

My father, JOHN C. HUGHES, died on 10/22/2008. He is off on the next grand adventure. I do not know what his pin number was, but he was at the UA in the 40s after serving his country in WWII.

I know that his time as a Sigma Nu was quite special to him. A fellow brother, SID TAYLOR, did him the honor of speaking at his memorial. He would always want to go by and visit the house whenever he came to visit me when I was a student at the UA in the 70s. I know that he was disappointed when his grandsons pledged the Phi Gam house in Tucson instead of Sigma Nu.

I would like to mention that when my Dad, JOHN C HUGHES, was down there, they had a lioness named "Siggy". They kept this lion cub at the chapter house and would drive around Tucson with her in the back seat. Due to the cub being there, the city council of Tucson passed a special ordinance forbidding the keeping of "wild animals" and mentioned specifically that it was generated by a fraternity at the U having said cub. I have great photos of my Dad with this lioness and she remembered him until the day she died. She was donated to a zoo in Apache Junction as she got older.

No comments: